Yearly Archive2017

ByRock

Suspect detained in market explosion in St. Petersburg, Russia

Dec. 30 (UPI) — Authorities arrested one person Saturday in the explosion at a shopping and entertainment center in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Russia’s Federal Security Service said Saturday an unnamed person has been handed over to the Investigative Committee for interrogation and intended arrest in the explosion that injured 13 people Wednesday.

By Thursday morning, six of the injured were released from the hospital.

The agency said it “identified and detained the organizer and immediate perpetrator of the homemade explosive device blast in St. Petersburg ‘Perekrestok’ supermarket.”

The Russian news agency Interfax reported the suspect is a resident of St. Petersburg with hardline nationalist views.

“Investigators have begun working with the suspected perpetrator of St. Petersburg explosion, he is being interrogated now. The investigation intends to request his arrest,” Investigative Committee spokeswoman Svetlana Petrenko said in an RT report.

Russia’s President Vladimir Putin earlier described the blast as a terrorist act.

Late Friday, the Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack but it hasn’t given any evidence supporting its claim.

In April, 14 people were killed when a suicide bomber detonated explosives in the city’s metro system.

Earlier this month, the FSB detained Islamic State supporters who planned to also carry out explosions in the city.

The improvised explosive device had a power equivalent to 200 grams of TNT. It detonated inside a grocery store locker room where customers can leave their bags.

St. Petersburg Gov. Georgy Poltavchenko said that every victim of the incident will get $5,200 in compensation.

ByRock

Man who fathered 8 children with daughter gets 12 years in prison

Dec. 30 (UPI) — An Argentine man who fathered eight children by raping his daughter has received a prison sentence of 12 years and 8 months in the sex-slave case.

In the northern city of Santiago del Estero, three judges sentenced Wednesday Domingo Bulacio, 56, in the case spanning 22 years until his arrest in January 2016. He was known as “the monster of Villa Balnearia,”

Her daughter testified she became his sex slave at 11 years old after her mother left their home.

“At 6 years old, my dad told me ‘you’re going to be my wife’ and at 16 I had the first child,” she testified.

The victim known locally as Antonia said she was forced to “take the role of her mother” after two other siblings were sent away to live with other family members.

“From the moment my mum left home I became my father’s wife,” she said in a report by the International Business Times. “He would hit me and used to chase me round the house with a lump of wood when he saw me chatting to a neighbor or simply wanted to abuse me.

“He threatened me constantly and I always feared for my life. He told me he would kill me if I said anything.”

DNA tests confirmed that Bulacio was the father of eight children his daughter gave birth to.

Despite being the victim, she said she’s received death threats from family members.

“I am very afraid for my life and that of my children, because today I receive threats from my father’s brothers,” she said to Nuevo Diario in 2016.

Bulacio fled after the case was reported to police. Forty-five days later he was detained.

“I was not the only one, there are relatives of his who do the same to their sisters and daughters,” the victim, now aged 30, told El Liberal newspaper after the trial.

In 2009, Josef Fritzl who was convicted at age 82 of imprisoning and raping his daughter in a Austrian cellar over a 24-year period. Elisabeth gave birth to seven of his children.

ByRock

Russia’s Supreme Court rules Alexei Navalny can’t run for president

Dec. 30 (UPI) — Russia’s Supreme Court rejected an appeal by Alexei Navalny to run for president.

After the decision was announced Saturday, the government critic urged nationwide protests on Jan. 28 and to boycott the election on March 18.

“We don’t recognize elections without competition,” Navalny, who did not attend the hearing in Moscow, posted on Twitter.

His lawyer Ivan Zhdanov told Russia’s news agency Interfax the case will be appealed to the European Court of Human Rights.

On Monday, Russia’s Central Election Committee said Navalny, 41, was not eligible to run for public office until at least 2028 because of a fraud conviction.

After being convicted in February by a court in Kirov, Novalny said he planned to run and was eligible because only those in priso are banned and he is on probation for six years in the $500,000 embezzlement scheme in 2014. The activist also has a five-year suspended sentence in 2013 for a fraud scheme.

Navalny says the charges were fabricated to prevent him from facing Vladimir Putin in the presidential election in March. Putin, who has been in power for 18 years, has an approval rating of 80 percent and said most of the current opposition figures were more focused on “making noise” instead of ways to benefit the country.

Navalny is polling at around 2 percent but said he would defeat Putin in “honest elections” if he could freely promote his anti-corruption policies.

On Sunday, thousands rallied in support of Navalny near Moscow.

He has been placed under administrative arrest for several days for organizing unauthorized public gatherings.